Sunday, May 24, 2009

The heat is on



I, like most of my grape soda connoisseurs, love the heat and summer--BBQs, rooftop parties, warm nights, frizzy hair, stick-to- your-back-from-the-sweat-linen 'fits, flip flops and a better disposition. Winter sucks and gray skies are depressing. One good thing about the winter, the clothes and kick-ass leather boots and the fact that folks cover up all that winter weight. My people, my people. I love the way Black women flaunt their curves and embrace their bodies with confidence and pride. And I love how Black men (and the brothers with the lighter/other mothers) seem to take pride in looking (until it's a gawk and a stare and an inappropriate comment to someone young enough to be your grandchild, then it's a problem). But my people, my people--it's time to step away from the Popeye's, the mac and cheese and Mickie D's and step to a gym, treadmill or walk around the block before you shed those winter frocks and trade them for minimal coverage. And while you're at it--get a pedi or two.

And hot weather brings out hot heads. Kinda miss the crisp, cool silence of a winter's night when I can open my window, let in the fresh air and not hear gunshots echoing through the hood. Sad. Try to be a Renaissance woman and embrace the historical characteristics and vibe of one of our more renown urban meccas (not to mention the cost of real estate is far more reasonable if you call $850K for a closet reasonable)--but the youngins are making it hard. Just reminds you of what effects crack has had on our communities. And what's with gang-bangin"? Didn't that play out in the 80's when Hip Hop reigned? My bad, Hip Hop is dead so back to being on the block being billy bad ass. Jeez.

Enough griping and groaning, time to break out the bubbly grape and enjoy the first day of the BBQ season.

Happy Memorial Day, y'all. Here's to a long, hot summer.

No comments: